April 27, 2021
Henri from Voitolla
Today, we are interviewing Henri from Voitolla. He discusses his journey in the casino affiliate industry and he turned his interest in poker to sustainable business. Moreover, Henri shares his vision for himself and his business for next 5 years and what he wants to accomplish.
How would you describe Voitolla to someone who does not know what you are doing?
– Since we do SEO mostly for Voitolla, I usually start by explaining what that means. The simplest way I’ve learned to explain it is through an example such as asking the person what they do if they are in need of almost any product or service nowadays? They’ll go online, typically Google, and search for the terms relevant to their interest. And what we do is optimize our website so that it appears as high in the organic results as possible, and that way get the visitor to click to our site on Google search results. And then on our site, we show relevant content to the user and refer them to the services, in our case to different online casinos. And then if the player registers the casino we send them, that casino pays us commission based on how much the player spends on this particular casino. Basically if the player deposits 100€ and lose their deposit, we get our cut (typically around 30-40% considering fees). If the player wins, we get nothing.
What made you want to start Voitolla?
– We didn’t start with iGaming, but financial markets. For few years we were one of the top affiliates on that niche and wanted to expand our horizont to other profitable markets. And since we are solely targeting Finnish markets, there’s not many high-paying niches to aim at and casinos were kind of an obvious step from that point of view.
How did you end up in the casino industry?
– I needed change and this sounds like a complete cliche, but it started by going to Google and typing “how to make money online”. Had zero experience, but learned the basics and created some content, and published it. At that time online marketing wasn’t that saturated as it is now and it wasn’t long until I started generating some (very low at the time) income on autopilot. That made me realize how scaling what I did up, would very easily start generating sizable passive income so I started focusing more seriously on SEO/affiliate marketing. One of the best things that drove me to this kind of work is the fact that online marketing can be done from anywhere in the world while being your own boss, that gives you a lot of freedom that’s not found on many other jobs.
What personality traits make you a skilled founder? What have been your biggest challenges?
– Being competitive helps on SEO “game”. When I first started I loved SEO as it really is kind of a game which you play against other players. That drove me to do 12-16 hour days for few years in the beginning to learn everything I could and get the ball rolling. The biggest challenges I’ve faced are trying to stay organized and stay consistent with what I’m doing.
How have you changed as a person from running a business?
– It’s been almost 10 years since I started so a lot has changed and it’s hard to say any single thing.
What are you most proud of?
– Business-wise, being one of the biggest affiliate marketers in Finnish markets for few years and ranking all the “toughest” keywords to the top at that time is something I really enjoyed while actively playing the SEO game. Doing that just in few years without any experience whatsoever just by myself felt great.
Where do you want to be in 5 years?
– To be honest, affiliate marketing has lost its glory personally, but most likely I’ll continue in a similar line of work in the future as well. I would like to find some other type of revenue streams as well so hopefully, I’ll find some new aspects in the upcoming years
Personal and professional where can people find you online?
– LinkedIn for business. You can also see our post about this interview here at Voitolla.com