Daniel from Bigwinboard
In this article, we are interviewing Daniel – the founder of Bigwinboard. He shares his journey in casino industry and how his interest in livestreaming casino plays turned into a sustainable affiliate business. Daniel discusses the success of Bigwinboard and its unique approach to reviewing slots.
How would you describe Bigwinboard to someone who does not know what you are doing?
– Hi guys, first of all I’d like to express my appreciation for your generosity in support of the environment!
– When people ask me to describe what I do I usually tell them that I run a website for online slots enthusiasts. The best description I’ve heard of Bigwinboard, however, comes from Big Time Gaming CEO Nik Robinson who dubbed us the ”IGN of the iGaming industry”.
– It’s actually really cool that he made that connection, because when I started up Bigwinboard I looked to video gaming sites like PC Gamer, Gamespot and IGN for inspiration rather than affiliate sites. I always found most traditional slot reviews to be generic or just lacking passion. Still to this day most reviews are written more just for ranking purposes or as sales pitch reviews.
– Another thing I feel was very important for me personally is honesty and transparency. I know those words get thrown around a lot in this industry, but that’s something I strongly believe has set us apart from many of our competitors. Our strong integrity and the notion of independence means we enjoy a high level of credibility. For example, we have a long standing policy of not accepting commission or payments from game developers if it risks getting in the way of us maintaining an unbiased stance. Still to this day we have not accepted a penny from any studio, and we’re all the better for it! Moreover, we’re very picky with the casinos we list, and always make sure our visitors are offered the very best casino bonuses
– When I started Bigwinboard, our approach was unique and had not really been done before. The way we were writing, analyzing games, criticizing providers, all of that was unheard of. In the process we established ourselves as the first reviewing site of its kind while our reviews have become somewhat of an industry gold standard.
How did you end up in the casino industry?
– I haven’t been involved in this industry for very long actually, but that’s also likely what enabled me to look at things with fresh eyes. This is a world I stumbled upon by chance in 2016. I was listening to the radio in my car on my way home from work when a casino commercial came on. For whatever reason it caught my attention, and when I got home I made a small deposit and started playing Mega Fortune Dreams. I remember I had no clue of what I was doing, but ended up making a withdrawal of 35,000 SEK. Of course, after that you’re hooked.
– I started getting more and more into slots and eventually stumbled upon the casino streaming scene that was emerging on Twitch, and which at the time was tiny. Together with guys like Letsgiveitaspin, Miikapekka, Nickslots, and Casinotwitcher we became the first generation of casino streamers. It’s during this time my passion for slots deepened even more and I started becoming really curious about technicalities and so on.
What made you want to start Bingwinboard?
– Somewhere along the way, streaming started to feel like a 9 to 5 job and was wearing me out. Also, regulation was starting to happen and I was concerned that casino streaming would eventually be shut down. Starting a website just seemed like a natural next step for me as I had established successful websites in other areas in the past. Looking back, it was the best thing I could have ever done.
– I was surprised at how quickly Bigwinboard took off. I’m sure my background as a casino streamer had something to do with it since I had already established myself. But there was something more to it that Bigwinboard had to offer, there was a demand for what we were doing and, interestingly, that demand came in large part from the game providers. I know today that they value the honest and constructive feedback they receive through our reviews and that they feel they can trust we never give any of their competitors any advantages. It’s very simple – if a game is bad we will say so, no matter what. Of course, that can lead to some awkward moments when you know the people involved, but most are quite professional about it.
What personality traits make you a skilled founder? What have been your biggest challenges?
– I think it helps that I’m a creative person, extremely stubborn, and that I have strong work ethics. When I find something I enjoy doing, and see potential in, I dedicate all my time to it. I find it very hard to just sit and watch a series for example. I need to constantly be productive. It may sound exhausting (and it is lol), but when you get to do what you love, it’s never boring!
– As for many, the regulatory changes have probably been most challenging. It took some time to adjust and many changes had to be made on the site in order to be compliant. We even stopped targeting a few markets altogether, like Sweden for example.
– Another issue we sometimes need to deal with is plagiarism. There is a fair share of Bigwinboard knock-offs out there, and I often think to myself what the point is in copying someone else’s concept or work. It’s a big problem in this industry in general in my experience. Game providers deal with it a lot, and so do we. There are too many greedy people involved who don’t care about quality, but are just too focused on making money. It all comes back to what we said about generic slot reviews. I’m absolutely allergic to it.
How have you changed as a person from running Bigwinboard?
– That’s a question others would be able to answer better than me, but I don’t think I’ve changed all that much. I have the privilege to run my own business, do what I love, and be my own boss. I don’t have to set any alarm clocks or do things I don’t like to do, so in that sense I am much more at ease today, less stressed, and happier overall. I feel really blessed, and sometimes I still have to pinch myself to make sure it’s all real. There’s nothing else I’d rather do in my life than to run Bigwinboard.com. I consider it a family member, I really do.
What are you most proud of?
– I’m proud of the fact that Bigwinboard has become such a trusted and popular website. I’m proud that we can help players make better informed decisions. On a personal level, I feel grateful to my wife who has always stood by my side and supported me. She has always given me the space and time I needed to chase my dreams.
– If you would have told me 5 years ago that I would be running the largest and most influential online slots reviewing site in the world, I would never have believed you. It’s amazing what you can accomplish if you set your mind to it. It’s a grind for sure, and there are many struggles along the way, but it’s all about endurance and hard work. If one project fails you don’t give up, you take those experiences with you and get on with the next!
Where do you want to be in 5 years?
– Bigwinboard has been growing exponentially now for a long time and there is no sign of us slowing down. January 2021 was another record month for us in terms of unique visitors and NDC’s. Also, our 2020 Awards garnered massive interest in the industry, and when Relax Gaming announced their Award on LinkedIn, it became their most liked post ever . In 5 years the site has hopefully grown even larger, strengthened its lineup with even more professional reviewers, and expanded into new markets!
Personal and professional where can people find you online?
– If you want to connect you will be able to find me on LinkedIn or Skype. I’m always open to discuss ideas and new partnerships, so don’t hesitate to reach out!