December 10, 2020
Nicholas Cross from Casino Bonus
Today, we are interviewing Nicholas Cross – the editor in chief of Casino Bonus. Nicholas discusses his journey in affiliate marketing and why he decided to start a business in casino affiliation. In addition, he shares insights about the industry and what have been his biggest challenges.
How would you describe Casino-Bonus.com to someone who does not know what you are doing?
– The business that we are running is called affiliate business and is basically the same as Erik did with Catena Media but on a much smaller scale. We let our visitors compare and find the best casino bonus depending on their location and personal preferences. With the partnerships we have with the casinos we get paid by the casinos for the players that we send.
How did you end up in the casino industry?
– Like many others in the casino industry, I have been playing online poker (semi-professionally) and I was at first a poker affiliate. At that time, I was too young and inexperienced to take it to the next level. Instead, I traveled and then began to study and was working in the tech industry for a few years before deciding to quit and give casino affiliation a try.
What made you want to start your business?
– The simple answer is freedom. I wanted to be free to work the hours I wanted and hopefully be able to earn enough money so I can also be financially free. But I also really enjoy some parts of the business. Like trying to understand the Google algorithm and get websites to rank. I enjoy working in small businesses that can move fast with highly motivated and passionate co-workers. To be a part of big machinery is not my style.
What personality traits make you a skilled SEO and content manager? What have been your biggest challenges?
– I think my analytical skills have really helped to quickly see which links and anchor texts have been successful for competitors and then use a similar or improved strategy on our website. I got my first computer when I was 5 which also has helped me a lot. Before we started to earn money there was a lot of grinding in trying to find links for free and it really helped to have a technical background to be able to place nice links in forums, comment sections, and so on. Nowadays, these tactics do not work as well as before but there is still some value out there to get for free. I think one skill that I have learned along the way is to be more efficient. Sometimes you just have to try things and not be afraid to fail.
– When it comes to the biggest challenges, I think it is to set up a great team that has the same visions. I have been in several partnerships and all are unique. Some people are highly motivated and are able to work around the clock to make the business move forward. Others always have a great excuse or are just not able to get things done. I would advise others that want to start a business to not rush into a team. Get to know each other and learn about your different skill sets before you get started.
How have you changed as a person from running a business?
– I think I have become more confident as a person when we started to become very successful. To have a lot of challenges and problems that you overcome and then be able to succeed and grow fast made me more confident that I can also overcome other challenges in life.
– During the process I also had to learn to become more structured with To-Dos and other documents that help me keep track of what is going on. Every single task in this business is not that difficult, it is just a lot to keep track of.
What are you most proud of?
– I´m most proud of creating something by basically investing zero money to have a website with thousands of visitors and revenues that allows us to keep growing. I´m also proud of being able to invest in different projects outside the casino industry with the money that I have earned so far.
Where do you want to be in 5 years?
– I think I will still work in the digital marketing industry, but I will not be promoting casinos. It has been a fun journey but in 5 years I would for sure like to try something else. Sometimes I can feel like the casino industry is too simple and would like to create a platform/product that is more advanced. I haven’t figured out what that could be yet. Maybe in the educational sector.
Personal and professional where can people find you online?
If anyone like to reach me the best way to get in contact with me via email: [email protected]